The Architect and the Accessible City



"Alone and small in the street, my self-awareness heightens. Large swarms of hurried people part when they see me approaching. My whole identity has changed in the eyes of the city within minutes. My wheelchair is my fortress and the enemy. With its large spindly wheels as my first and only defence, they are also my burden. Jarred into an utterly complex version of what I formerly knew as reality, my eyes begin scrutinising and dissecting the cobbled street surface ahead into zones which I can and cannot access. Never before had I seen the streetscape in such meticulous detail. Tiny height differences such as curbs and grooves between cobbles become mountains, cruelly halting progress and making small advances, exhausting. Whilst battling physical obstructions, I myself have become one. If the pavements were widened, perhaps disabled citizens wouldn’t be seen as causing an obstruction. (...)"

The essay "A day in the life of a wheelchair user: navigating Lincoln" by Sophia Bannert won the Berkeley Prize. With the prize, the Department of Architecture at the University of Berkeley aims to promote "the investigation of architecture as a social art."

The whole essay: READ

- - - - - - - - - 

photograph via Millbrook

No comments:

Post a Comment